New applications for IR emitters call for variable and precise methods of measurement
Electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths upwards of 780 nm that is invisible to the human eye is referred to as infrared (IR) radiation. It is ideally suitable for sensors and the transmission of data, which is its most important field of application.
The spectral range relevant for our measurement technology is subdivided into IR-A or NIR (780–1400 nm) and IR-B or SWIR (1400–3000 nm).
Examples for applications in the IR range:
| || |
A major part of these IR applications is based on IR-LEDs and IR lasers. In particular, the use of compact VCSEL arrays (surface emitting lasers) has enabled many new applications in the consumer goods market.
Measurement challenges for IR lasers / VCSELs
- Narrow-band emitters require a high-resolution spectroradiometer for precise spectral measurement.
- Measurement of power, homogeneity of VCSEL arrays and spatial radiation properties in the NIR spectral range (800–1000 nm)
- Temperature dependence of the optical output requires temperature control or short pulse measurement (in the µs range)
- 3D sensing applications use the extremely short pulse sequences (ns to µs) that require fast photodiodes for measurement
Measurement challenges for IR LEDs and other broadband emitters
- Broad spectral range, to cover all applications (800–2150 nm)
- Precise measurement of different radiometric quantities requires the appropriate calibrations
- High-power LEDs require pulse measurement (in the µs to ms range) or temperature control in order to prevent temperature drift
- Measurement of spatial radiation properties and homogeneity
Instrument Systems provides high-end systems that meet all requirements for IR measurement in the lab and production.
Additionally we offer systems that are specifically directed to VCSEL for 3D-sensing, such as the PVT system for nanosecond pulse measurement and camera-based measurement systems VTC 2400 and VTC 4000 for near- and far-field measurements (read more in our Application Note Testing Solutions for VCSEL).
High precision and reliability of measurement results are guaranteed in combination with high metrological competence in the calibration of all measuring systems.
What is your individual challenge? Together we will find the right solution – just ask us!